*Le Marquis~Chocolate Cake with Blackberries*
~Here are what we need = ~8 inches in diameter and 1½ inches deep cake pan ~3½ ounces semisweet baking chocolate ~2 tablespoons brewed coffee(optional) ~3½ tablespoons softened butter ~3 egg yolks ~1/2 cup granulated sugar ~3 egg whites ~Pinch of salt ~1 tablespoon granulated sugar ~2/3 cup sifted cake flour ~about 2 cups of fresh blackberries or other fruits...next time I want to try using kiwis...oooh would be very pretty!
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter & flour the cake pan. Measure out the ingredients. Stir chocolate & coffee in the saucepan over boiling water until chocolate is melted, beat in butter by spoonfuls to make a creamy mass. Let it cool to tepid while proceeding with recipe.
2. Beat egg yolks in the mixing bowl, gradually adding sugar, until thick & forms a ribbon.
3. Beat egg whites & salt together in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed; sprinkle on sugar & beat until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Fold tepid chocolate & butter into egg yolk mixture, then fold in one-fourth of the egg whites. When partially blended, sift on one-fourth of the flour & continue folding, alternating rapidly with more egg whites & more flour until all egg whites & flour are incorporated.
5. Immediately turn into prepared cake pan and run the batter up to the rim all around. Bake in the middle level of preheated oven for about 30 minutes
6. Remove cake from oven and cool in pan 5 minutes. Cake will sink slightly & top will wrinkle. Allow to cool for at least 1-2 hours before icing. You can use any icing/frosting...for me I used dark chocolate ~frosting recipe click here*