20100621

~Claypot Rice*


...~Hellooo...hope everyone had a lovely weekend? How time flies, this would be my second week here in Singapore. Today, let me introduce you to the world of claypot dish! Claypot Chicken Rice is a simple & humble dish from the southern regions of China, Singapore or Malaysia. More often than not, the rice is cooked and served in the earthen clay pot; Rice with some meats and vegetables. It is traditionally cooked over charcoal stove till the rice at the bottom is somewhat slightly charred, giving the dish a distinctive flavour. Some places serve it with dark soya sauce and also dried salted fish. (Salted fish enhances the taste of the fragrant rice). Due to the slow-cooking in a claypot, customers might have to wait for about 15-30 minutes before the dish is ready to devour! Each time I visit Singapore, I truly enjoy having them, worth the wait ~ YUM! Some new friends here, brought me to this tiny restaurant which specializes in claypot dishes~ they told me that I would also enjoy the charming 'vintage 60's or old Shanghai' decor as well! They were certainly right! ~Take a look:
.








Woops~ I forgot to bring my reliable camera, so I had to use the phone-camera! (sigh* quality of the photo is so blurrrrry!) Anyhow, quite a charming-cozy place, isn't it? Loving the colorful tiles on the wall & all the small details of this place! You know what...I'm going to buy a traditional claypot and try to make this deliciousness back home...~Here's the easy-breezy recipe to try-out:
.

.

27 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Looks good.
Looks like it taste good, too! ;P

Karena said...

Just a little envious!! I love rice like this, yum!

Karena
Art by Karena

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Looks good! It’s sticky rice, right?

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

It sounds deeeeeelicious!

Mr H. said...

I love rice! Looks delicious. Too bad for the carbs :)

Anonymous said...

I had a lovely weekend. Thanks.
I love rice. I eat it everyday. In Nigeria, it's a major portion of our lunch.

I gave you an award.
Have a lovely week.



LOVE!

Aron said...

I like the iphone shots. There is something atmospheric about them! :)

Fé... said...

One of my fave dish! Claypot. Yummy, yummy. And Singapore is a lovely place. My best friend lives there :)

Lianne said...

Must have lunch NOW!!! This looks great and definitely a must try.

McVal said...

Even tho I just ate lunch... I'm suddenly hungry.

A~B said...

too bad I can't cook..
This place looks really colourful, great shots!

SabinePsynopsis said...

Claypot rice sounds delicious. I will have to ask hubby (who's the Asian cook in our household) to try it. Wishing you a good 2nd week in sunny Singapore. xoxo

Unknown said...

nice pictures

i love thi video post i like cooking

drollgirl said...

you are making me so hongry!

i have a clay pot thingie, but i think it is from central america. or something like that? i have never used it, but NEED TO DO IT ALREADY.

Seeker said...

I just love rice!! That sounds delicious.
Luv, darling

xoxo

Kitty Stampede said...

Yummay!!! sounds and looks heavenly to taste. was that a tiger beer i spied? my husband loves to drink them.
looks like you are having fun!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is my favourite rice:)Such a great post! Kisses sweetie and enjoy your first day of summer:)
Muah

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

I am a rice fanatic, and probably eat it about 4 days a week. This dish sounds so yummy!

I hope you had a wonderful week my dear. Happy (official) summer!

Brandi said...

This meal looks absolutely delicious. I'm saving this and going to make it as soon as I get back to NJ -- I'll mess up my parents' new kitchen a bit.

Jan said...

Looks good - wish I'd had dinner now.
Haagen Dazs for dinner doesn't really count does it?

Anonymous said...

Ummmm. YUM!! This looks so good, and I just love the mood of the pictures. This is terrific Lenore!

Sam said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so divine! I'm a huge rice lover from way back and that looks like heaven to me! Thank you for taking the time to pop up such a cool post from abroad! XO's

Caroline said...

How delish is that? Thanks for sharing a little part of your day with us ;)

thais said...

really interesting pictures... totally '60's shanghai' - like in a movie ;) happy summer to you!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Thank you darrrlingsss...
xo as always!

Christina said...

we used to have a place locally that had clay pot shrimp and rice and it was one of my favorite things to eat. i was very upset when the restaurant closed :(

Karen said...

My family and I really like clay pot dishes, and they certainly do have a distinctively delicious taste! Reminds me of how Koreans have their bibimbab..