20100513

~Please DO NOT lick the stamps!

The inverted Jenny is the 1918 U.S. postage stamp using image of plane Curtiss JN-4 and accidentally printed upside down. This is probably the most famous misprint in the world of American philately. One full block inverted Jenny stamps sold at auction of Robert A. Siegel in October 2005 for U.S. $ 2.7 million. And in November 2007 an inverted Jenny stamps sold for U.S. $ 977,500. December 2007 a mint stamps sold for $ 825,000.
.
The first two stamps of Mauritius (1847) are the first two series of stamps issued by the British colonial government. Only one left for first stamps in unused condition and three second stamp with unused condition as well. In 1993 David Feldman auctioned the Mauritius stamps of Hiroyuki Kanai produces the highest record. The first orange stamp sold for $ 1,072,260 and the second for $ 1,148,850.
.
The Three-Skilling Yellow, is a misprint stamp of the Swedish government in its first printing in 1855. Which normal postage only (which should be blue-green) also included in rare stamps. Three-Skilling Yellow is one of the rarest stamps and only one remaining. In 1984 a stamp was sold for 977.500 Swiss francs by David Feldman. In 1990 the sales reached one million dollars U.S. Then in 1996 sold for $ 2.3 million. And each time It’s sold always scored the highest number as the most expensive stamps in the world! [source].
.
Have you seen any of these on your mails lately?
...it's only .44 cents by the way!
~I find them gorgeousss...
The U.S Postal Service issued a 44–cent commemorative stamp in celebration of the abstract expressionist artists of the 20th Century. Click HERE to purchase or to find out the list of artists being 'stamped'! My favorite has to be the Mark Rothko piece! Yup, we really don't have to have million$ to purchase his art. Plus, I can lick it if I want to!
~XOXO*

23 comments:

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Love abstract expressionist stamps! We dropped the ball and didn't buy any Eames stamps. Hmmm, I wonder if they're still avaiable...

Jan said...

You should definitely buy a set, but resist the temptation to lick !

the Citizen Rosebud said...

You've done it. You've actually created an impulse in me to buy stamps. Oh, and I'm gonna lick.

Saving Capulet said...

i remember when i was 3, i stole my aunts stamp collection and licked everything ._.

carolina @ patagonia gifts said...

$ 2.3 million for a stamp? let me see... how many pairs of Louboutins could I buy? and lick them afterwards! lol! xo

Bathwater said...

I'd be more apart to by stamps with pictures if they would make them forever stamps. But they don't and the price keeps going up which means i have to go back and get more small 2 and 3 cent stamps to mail things.

Tights Lover said...

I love these abstract art stamps. I can't believe how much the misprints sell for!!

Tiffany Kadani said...

I like the Rothko one the best also! This post just makes me want to lick stamps. You tell me I can't do it and then I'll want to do it.

Cheryl Peters said...

Thank you for the stamp ordering info. You made it so easy that I just came from ordering two sets of these cool stamps.

I used to be into stamp collecting and now I am again! Cool, very cool!

www.janetteria.com said...

Great stamps...

Erin Wallace said...

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever even see those stamps, much less get the chance to lick them! Have you seen the Hitchcock stamps? Love them!

Cindy said...

i love old stamps and picked up the abstract expressionist set which i will never use. have you seen the new katherine hepburn stamp? that is very lenore!

Classic Copenhagen said...

I have an inverted book with Marilyn Monroe (oh, do not lick) prints, that I bought in Paris, and unwrapped when I got home. Any chance this will come back a winner one day? Because I sure felt cheated then... :-) Sandra

Sam said...

I collect stamps off and on. I might well go and check out this abstract set - it is very appealing! Happy weekend to you sweetie! XOXO's

Mel said...

What lovely stamps, I used to collect them in the 3rd grade!

grace e. said...

My dad actually has his own collection of stamps... this post makes me want to start one of mine :)

SabinePsynopsis said...

Finally I can afford starting to collect art! & who would have thought how expensive stamps can be... Happy Friday, Lenore!

Melanie's Randomness said...

WOA!! All that money for a stamp?!?!?! I think I need to pay more attention to my letters!!!!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Thank you everyone!!!
Come to think about it...errr?
we rarely lick our stamps these days!

xoxo*

Anonymous said...

Aw, my job is making stamp albums, this was fun :)

Claire Kiefer said...

I cannot fathom paying 2.7 for any sort of collector's item, especially a dang stamp! geez!

Aron said...

Hey, we just bought some of these!