20080828

WITTY and an ARTIST







Confession time...
In the previous post, I was wrong... paper cut shouldn't be in the ORIGAMI vocabulary! That is according to Joel. (as a foreigner who is still in this beautiful & exotic ORIGAMI island, it's always best for me to speak to the locals, and Joel is one... a great one!)
Not only that Joel is very talented, he is also a funny guy...LENORENEVERMORE really enjoys a guy with some wits! ...Laughters really makes our hearts grow fonder, amen! Shall we... heehee...hwahaha...!!! (who cares... having laughing lines on our faces...there's always Botox injection nearby right, hee!)
But seriously though, just look at his works... truly amazzzing! Joel claimed that he had never had any paper cut nor the dreadful carpal tunnel syndrome from doing origami(hee!). That claim is truly an art by itself Joel! Thanks for sharing your story & your extreme talent!


This is what he wrote :
More than one person has asked if I had ever gotten a papercut from folding. The people who ask this, I can only assume, have never folded paper before. No, I have never received a papercut from origami, and I don’t know anyone who has. I am reminded of this question which arose at the exhibition in Long Island, by an injury sustained today at work. I get papercuts all the time where I work at the library, I have three such cuts on my fingers right now: one above each thumbnail and one on the side of my left pinky finger. And no, although I work at the library, they weren’t from handling books. I work in acquisitions and the cuts came from opening boxes the books came in. Cardboard boxes have little pity for sensitive fingers.
I’ve been asked also if repetitive folding causes carpal tunnel syndrome. I suppose it could aggravate this condition if done improperly, but I find the stresses occur mostly in the fingers, not in the wrist. I get sore wrists the same way most office workers do, at the keyboard. I guess people like to imagine that the pursuit of art may be fraught with risk of physical harm - like papercuts and carpal tunnel syndrome. Origami is admittedly a rather tame art, one of the few that can be practiced on a bus ride or in the waiting room at a doctor’s office (ventriloquism and interpretive dance are others. Bronzecasting, stonecarving and pottery are not recommended). It requires little equipment beyond the medium itself (generally speaking, paper) and the digital appendages most were born with. And the origami muse seldom requires a blood offering from her supplicant.




LENORENEVERMORE thinks that you are so witty!
PAPERARTIST JOEL ORIGAMI CLICK HERE
HIS GALLERY ARCHIVE CLICK HERE

No comments: